Information for new faculty members

What you need to know ...

You are a new faculty memeber at the university, here is what you need to know from a "ZIMT point of view":

University account


You will receive a university account (user name and password) at the beginning of your employment or teaching assignment. With this account you can use the PC technology provided by ZIMT, check your HS mail, participate in eLearning and much more.

BEFORE using your account for the first time, you must change your password on a PC at the university. Only then you can use other services.

... more information 

University Card


Faculty members are issued a University Card at the beginning of their employment. This university card is:

  • Employee ID card
  • Library card
  • Payment card for the cafeteria
  • Copy, scan card incl. payment function



... do not receive a university card. The library card can be applied for separately in the library.The use of the central copying technology can be realized via the Mensa card (payment card of the Studentenwerk). You can purchase this card in the cafeteria and top it up with cash at the top-up machines (anteroom to the cafeteria and in the library).
The print function is only available to you indirectly via the detour "Print from USB-Stick".


Workstation PC


If you are provided with a workstation PC by the ZIMT or department administrator, you can log on to this PC with your user name and password. You have limited user rights on this PC. It is not possible for you to install software on your own.




You can call the mail address belonging to your university account via webmail or via an email client. Required data/information can be found here.


... more information



In the university's eLearning system you will not only find course areas for courses, but also areas for projects and for overarching topics, e.g. (). Here you can get guidance and hints and find out how to solve common problems.


... more information

Shared (network) drives

Depending on your field of work or area of responsibility, you will be assigned different network drives on the PC provided by the ZIMT or department administrator. Please discuss the use of the drives with your supervisor.

For the storage of your data, you have your own home drive under h:\.

Network use with own devices

PC technology NOT provided by the ZIMT or department administrator can be registered for the network. However, only internet use is possible for these devices. Access to shared (network) drives is not possible.


... further informations