VPN external access from home office
for members of the University of Applied Sciences
Installation of the CISCO VPN Client
- Depending on your operating system, select the right installation file to download (see above). The download will start following log-in with your university ID. (Alternative: Use the link to the university portal).
- Save the file to your PC.
- On your PC, open the file you have just saved: this will launch the installation.
- Then call up the CISCO program (icon: greyish-blue sphere). The CISCO log-in window will feature this link: vpn-bibo.hs-nb.de/ac
- In the following log-in window, enter the university ID you have received from the data centre.
Are you receiving an error message?
Tip: if you experience problems using the Cisco Client, it may be necessary to temporarily deactivate your virus protection program.
University members can download SOPHOS in the portal. We recommend the use of this security software, because other programs are often not compatible with the Cisco client.
Please observe the following information:
Why do we need the VPN external access?
The access control of the publishing houses is not via university members but rather via the University of Applied Sciences site. Following installation of the Cisco AnyConnect Client, the external access will relocate you virtually to the University of Applied Sciences – from your home office, you will be able to access the electronic resources of the University of Applied Sciences’ library.
This includes the full texts of the e-books in the library catalogue, our databases in the DBIS and the Electronic Journals Library (EZB) featuring numerous e-journals.
I DON’T need an external access in the University of Applied Sciences’ network:
All electronic resources are fully available as part of the licences.
- In the library
- In the study
- In the halls
- In the University of Applied Sciences (all university buildings)
- With Internet access via Eduroam
You need to log in via VPN.
- I am online via an external Internet provider and not in the University of Applied Sciences’ network.
- I am not on the campus.
The service is subject to licencing conditions.
Please note: for licencing reasons, the Juris and Beck Online databases are not available via the external access. At SpringerLink, there are preview hits with a yellow lock which are currently not (yet) available as a full text on the campus with our licence.
During your session, ALL data will be routed via the University of Applied Sciences access. For this reason, only use this connection during your research. Once you have finished, log out of this connection and work via your Internet connection as usual.
Should you receive a certificate error when trying to connect, you can find all the certificates you need here.
Also set your security software such that the Cisco Client cannot be blocked: otherwise, it won’t be possible to establish a connection.
Non-members of the University of Applied Sciences
- The VPN Client belonging to Neubrandenburg University of Applied Sciences is not available to non-members of the university.
- Guests from other institutes participating in this service can log in to the campus network via Eduroam from their own PC. Then they can access the electronic media of the University of Applied Sciences from their own PC on site.
- Independent of this, the electronic resources are publicly available from several research workstations on the premises of the University of Applied Sciences’ library.