Before departing

After you have been admitted to a course at the Neubrandenburg University of Applied Sciences, you can start to prepare for your time in Neubrandenburg. Some of the things that you need to organise beforehand include accommodation, visa, health insurance and third-party liability insurance. 

Travelling to Neubrandenburg

Neubrandenburg can be reached by train. Nearby airport is the Airport Berlin-Brandenburg (BER). You can find information about these airport here ...  

The train journey to Neubrandenburg is about two hours. The home page of Deutsche Bahn, the German railway service, has information about train and bus connections. The Neubrandenburg University of Applied Sciences is about 15 minutes’ walk from Neubrandenburg station. 



There are four student residential colleges run by the 

Greifswald Student Union with furnished single rooms for a monthly rent of between €180 and €220. International students are given preference provided they register in time. 

For Erasmus or other exchange students, this deadline is the submission of their application documents. The staff in the International Office make the application for a room in the residential college on your behalf. Applicants for full-time study can find the application form here… 

It is essential that you keep an eye out for the email offer from Greifswald Student Union once your application is submitted. If you agree to the conditions in the email, respond by email that you accept the offer. As soon as you are admitted to your course, send this information electronically to Student Services. Only then will the room be reserved for you. 

If you apply for a room in a residential college, you can sign the rental contract with Ms Kaiser (Wohnheim 3, ground floor) of the residential college administration on the day of your arrival. If you arrive on a weekend, the International Office will organise a buddy who will greet you on your arrival and take you to your room in the residential college. 

The student share houses always have rooms free; you can find information about available accommodation on this home page:  WG-gesucht (looking for a share house) and in the notices in the university buildings. 

Other regional housing providers are: NeuWoBa und NeuWoGes 


Applying for a visa  

International students require a visa to enter Germany. The exceptions are students from EU countries and some other countries. All other students must apply well in advance to the German embassy or consulate for a visa for study purposes. Please do not enter Germany with a tourist visa because this is only valid for three months and will not be converted to a visa for study purposes. 

You will need the following documents to apply for a visa: 

  • valid passport,
  • confirmation of enrolment or notification of admission from the university of applied science or applicant confirmation that states that you have applied for admission
  • health insurance certificate,
  • verified funds to cover cost of living (currently €10.332 for a stay of one year and €5.166 for a stay of six months or €861 per month, and
  • a recent biometric passport photo.

The German representative abroad for the Foreign Office of the Federal Republic of Germany will provide you with more information about the regulations and the forms that should accompany your application.

For cost reasons please apply for the visa yourself and do not consult an agency. 

Health insurance and third-party liability insurance  

It is mandatory to have a health insurance policy in Germany. Without health insurance you cannot enrol at a German university or apply for a visa. 

You should therefore organise health insurance as soon as possible. In Germany there are two types of health insurance. Public health insurance costs €85 per month. Some private health insurance policies, predominantly offered by online insurance providers, are cheaper.

You should be aware that these have some drawbacks, however. Private health insurance covers fewer health risks, the prices increase with age and you cannot switch to statutory (public) health insurance once you have had a private health insurance policy. If you want to look for a job in Germany once you have completed your studies, it is important that you take this into account. For students who want to complete full-time studies in Neubrandenburg rather than complete an exchange semester, statutory health insurance is mandatory in Germany. 

In exceptional cases the statutory health insurance can check the scope of services provided by private health insurance providers and you may apply to be exempted from having mandatory statutory health insurance if the coverage is deemed adequate.   

Students from EU countries and some other European countries are insured in Germany by means of an agreement with their national health insurance providers. Please ask your health insurance provider for the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) and show this at your enrolment as evidence. 

We also recommend obtaining third-party liability insurance and international health insurance for the journey back to your home country. 

You can find more detailed information on the German health insurance system in several languages on this page…